Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 23 part 2

The job was not the high point of my day today. In point of fact, it was pretty annoying, as jobs will be from time to time. I arrived 10 minutes early to a boss who was panicking and couldn't handle what was going on. Ergo, I immediately took over...and ended up leaving a half an hour late because, she couldn't handle what was going on.

This, of course put me a half hour behind on getting Bear out when I got home. Realizing that the worst had most definitely already happened, I decided to verify the location for the interview I have tomorrow...which put me another half hour off the schedule and thus, arrived home an hour late.

It wasn't until I got half-way up the walkway that I heard Willie bark. The dogs were calm as I walked in and there was no trash or recyclables littering the floor. Cautiously, I inhaled through my nose, searching for any clue of what I would probably find in the next room. There was nothing. I repeated the process. Again, nothing. I searched the dining room, living room, kitchen, even by the bathroom and then I found it, the only offense of the day, an old comb and hairbrush of mine, lovingly chewed up in the dog's blankets by the door.

There were no piles. There were no puddles, just a dead comb and hairbrush that just hadn't made it to the trash yet.

We went out immediately to take care of the pending business for both dogs, who, interestingly enough seemed equally proud. If pushed to say which one had been wonderful by the way the dogs were acting, I couldn't and I pondered that for a moment as we stood waiting five minutes for Bear to finish. In fact, I didn't think about this fact again until, after opening up my bedroom, I walked back out to the living room and found Bear lounging on the couch chewing the bone that I had given to Willie the other day as Willie sat in front of him watching in what, if I didn't know any better, I would call a very self-satisfied and doting manner.

I looked at Willie, who never shares anything, especially the bone ... that disappeared almost the minute I gave it to him the other day. He just looked back at me and wagged his tale a little. I looked at Bear who was lavishing this treat... almost as though he had been waiting for it all day...and I couldn't shake the feeling that an arrangement had been made somewhere along the line...which entailed a trip out to play in the middle of the night, a disappearing bone, a miraculously mess free house to come home to this evening and two very proud and happy dogs.

I know its silly, but as I think about it, I can't help but wonder if the reason we think dogs can't talk to each other is only because we can't hear the conversation.

Happy wandering!

The Writer...and her dog, Bear

1 comment:

Irene said...

Yup, sounds like a deal was made, definitely. Good for them!