Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 58

HA! Okay, today's a great day. It really is. I worked all day and got home late to check the mail...and do you know what was there? That's right!

THE CERTIFICATE HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, its that long awaited certificate from the New York State Department of Agriculture that will curtail Bear's ever growing urge to climb on me and enable him to develop consistent thought patterns in the near to immediate future! Not only that, it will be our part in the growing effort to curb the overpopulation of stray dogs on the planet and establish my community in the New York State Department of Agriculture's spay/neuter program.

Thank you! Thank you!

Its been a strain on everyone in the household, but we've made it through the most difficult phase of this endeavor and better times are at hand for us. The only bummer is that I'm going to have to call from work tomorrow to schedule the appointment because the vet was closed by the time I got home...

Before everyone gets upset and thinks that I have a grudge against unfixed dogs, I would like to clarify why this is such a big deal to me. We've always had multiple dogs in the household and one of the things we noticed early on in our years of domestic bliss with canines is that dogs that are not fixed get difficult to handle, for us, especially when there are more than one of them. It has been our experience that neutered male dogs make much nicer, calmer pets and get along much better with each other and everyone else. I want that for both of these guys and that's why we are doing it. It has nothing to do with altruism and an overpopulation of dogs on the planet and everything to do with wanting Bear's experience as a pet and my experience as a pet owner to be the best one that we can have. Its completely selfish. Oh well...

Should the weather cooperate, treasure hunting will hopefully recommence tomorrow although its looking pretty nasty out there tonight...

Happy wandering!

The Writer...and her dog, Bear

3 comments:

CC said...

YEA!!!! I am so happy it arrived, being born and having lived in NY thru many of my adult years, I can related to the pain it takes to get simple piece of paperwork from them. I also agree with your statement that when you have multiple dogs in the household they do get along much better together and there is more bliss in the household, especially with males. All three of mine were adopted from shelters so they were all "fixed" prior to being allowed to be adopted. I can't wait to hear of the changes in Bear after the procedure and I look forward to your treasure hunting continuing!

~Marie~ said...

I share in your joy!! Bear is gonna get teutered!!!!!

Chris said...

Good for you!!! It will make a difference in him. My two girls have been fixed for quite a while.I know it makes a big difference after it is done.